Growing up as a poor Filipino, whose parents were trying to make ends meet in the United States of America, we ate almost anything and everything. Rice with soy sauce, rice with bagoong, rice with banana, rice with Spam or Corned Beef, was a daily choice for me and my siblings. Sure almost any type of food gives some energy, just as long as it has calories. The difference is that there are certain foods that gives the best energy to your body. By eating the following eight energy-giving foods, your body will perform like a top-of-line sports car.
- Bananas are rich in Vitamin A and C, potassium, and folate. They provides a quick, convenient source of energy carbohydrates.
- Chickpeas contain copper, magnesium, potassium and zinc. These minerals help you get more energy from the foods you eat.
- Apples are high in fiber, potassium and phytochemicals. They are also rich in carbohydrates and keeps you full due to being high in fiber content
- Kang Kong, or water spinach is rich in Vitamin K, which helps promote healthy bones and teeth. It decreases the risk of developing osteoporosis, a disease where your bones become porous.
- Malunggay leaves are fibrous and are used in a many Filipino dishes. The leaves are a good source of beta carotene, which fights off free radicals. They also are rich in protein, vitamins A and B and calcium. Many consider malunggay leaves to be a superfood.
- Oatmeal are full of energy-giving nutrients such as magnesium, protein and Vitamin B-1. The best kind of oatmeal to consume are the old-fashioned or steel-cut oats, not the quick-cooking oats, which are mostly loaded with lots of sugar.
- Eggs are packed with quality protein, as well as Vitamin A and D. These vitamins are important for energy metabolism. Eggs assist in healthy memory functions, muscle control and other brain functions.
- Tuna, Tulingan or Tambakol is a great source for lean protein. It is also rich in omega-3 fatty acids, which decrease inflammation in the body. This translates into better circulation of your heart and other organs.